7.15.2007

Excuse the whining

This might be an important post. This may be the only time I really complain about being a foreigner here. I've always read that the four-month mark is about where people usually begin to have a change in emotions toward the culture around them and that, mixed with homesickness, leads to negative feelings about anything and everything one might experience in everyday life.

Not surprisingly my feelings came to a boiling point at Home Plus. I made a solo grocery trip tonight knowing the place would be a zoo, but I thought, I'll just put my iPod on and keep to myself. Not possible. It started as soon as I got in the taxi. There are two ways to get to Home Plus - one takes about five minutes longer because there are more traffic lights. All drivers know this and, after four and a half months, so do I. So, instead of taking the exit under the bridge, the driver decided he'd go straight. I wasn't having it. "Awrun-cho (right)", I said. I may be a foreigner but I'm not stupid, and I'm not paying extra to sit at traffic lights.

So I get to the store and have a look around in the home section before heading upstairs to the groceries. The place was a bloody madhouse - at 10 p.m. Which leads me to my next gripe. I understand that the pace of life is different here, and people live on a different sort of schedule, but no matter where you live, I'm pretty sure babies need to sleep. It doesn't matter if it's midnight, parents will be dragging (literally) their babies and toddlers out to the store, movie, market or wherever. It's no surprise then that 90% of babies you see during the day are passed out in slings on their mothers' backs.

Moving on. It's not an over-generalization to say that people do not look where they're walking. And the rule of thumb is that if you bump into someone inadvertently there's no need to acknowledge the incident or apologize - because it was an accident. This makes for a mess in the aisles and basically means anyone can push their cart in any direction without looking or leave their cart in any given spot without considering anyone else's space. So as I was heading down the toiletry aisle, a group of ladies were deciding on some skin products. They parked their cart neatly across the aisle and stood on either side as they debated which products they were going wash their annoying faces with. They saw me waiting but continued their important discussion. My patience was short and I was tired, not that I need to excuse my reaction, but I began repeatedly (lightly) banging my cart into theirs, hoping they might get the idea. Hmmm, nope, not yet. So I used my cart to push their cart back. One of them, clearly annoyed, finally let me pass.

On to the tofu section. There's a ton of tofu to choose from and a huge range of prices so I wanted to browse before I decided. But of course there are three employees giving me three separate spiels about three different kinds of tofu, all at the same time. I cannot tell you how much I was not in the mood for that. I saw a pack I wanted to get and I said "Olma (how much)?". "Eechon palbek aw-seep won (2,850)." I nodded, acknowledging I understood the price and took the tofu. Instead of just letting me walk away, the lady held up the price tag and pointed at it, as if I still didn't understand her (and that me walking away with the tofu didn't mean I was going to buy it), causing a few people behind me to laugh at the idiot foreigner who doesn't understand the language. Wow, this is exactly what I want to be doing right now - standing in a grocery store getting laughed at.

On top of all this, we recently received a pleasant little virus on our computer that essentially destroyed the hard drive, causing me to reformat the thing, meaning we lost most of our software and nearly lost our photos. Can I suggest to everyone to never use MSN Messenger and choose something like Skype or Google Talk instead?

I'm blaming my negativity on the rain, being tired (humidity makes it hard to sleep) and missing a few things from home, namely my friends these days. Although I wouldn't say I'm homesick. I'm sure these feelings will pass soon and I can get back to appreciating the people and the things around me, but right now I'm just not having any of it. I'd rather just stay in our villa, play on the floor with Cate and listen to music.

3 comments:

Gary said...

Man, I can totally relate with all of your "whining"! It's completely normal. We went through that phase too, you can only put off your emotions for so long. What really bothers me is the complete disregard for moving when people are walking--nobody moves!

I also love the inconsistencies with cabbies...trips from costco should cost us 3500w, I love it when they take the longer way and it turns out to be 7000w.

There have been times where I don't move, and we both end up meeting face to face. Nowadays though, I don't get mad, I get even. You have to be the aggressor and look like you're gonna walk into them, then they will move. I like to throw a little hip check here and there, like I'm in the NHL. It's quite fun, you gotta try it!! :)

Cheer up and just breathe...life's definitely different here. :)

W.R. Little said...

i'd lose my patience after the first day. i can't believe you went this long without posting anything negative.

edanhunt said...

Hello.
Leaving home and living in different place is not easy(definitily)
But, it was your choice to come to Korea.(I guess)
You should try to understand the culture or life style here.
If you think positively, You can experience a lot of exciting moments , If you see everything negatively, it will be waste of time in Korea.
It's up to you!

And one more!
Before complaining your life in Korea, have you ever try to learn
Korean words or Korean culture before coming to this country?(I guess it might be your first time to travel another country...cause people who travel here and there are so open-minded.....if I am wrong, I am sorry.)
Even there are a lot of korean people who want to be nice to foreigners(of course, there are some rude Korean people, but it's not the problem of country but the problem of personality of people), you should try to be one of them as long as you stay in Korea.

I read some of your writing.
As a Korean, I felt very sorry,
but also very sad.
Sometimes, you seem to make fun of the experience here(sometimes cynical, sometimes sarcastic) nevertheless you don't have any idea of this country. I don't know your purpose of staying in Korea, but dont be so judgemental.
Nobody doesn't have right to distort the reality of other country.

Of course, I saw many bad foreigners who live in Korea(who came to korea just to earn money and even don't know how to say "excuse me" or"I am sorry" in Korean , don't have any idea of Korean history or culture and think superior to the others just because they speak English) but I dont overgeneralize their behavior.(It's the problem of personality.)

About the parents with their babies in Homeplus....
That's right that babies need to sleep at night. And Korean parents know that!!(They are not idiot just like you are not idiot foreigner you said-I am sure that the lady didn't mean to laugh at you!) They might have their own reasons. You might not know but lots of korean parents are so so busy and they dont have enough time for buying foods in that kind of big market. that's why they visit the market at night(especially Korean summer is so hot, so more people in summer go shopping at night) and they don't want to let the children alone at home even though they are sleeping.(They might think that it's better to bring babies rather than let them alone!!) There are a lot of thing to explain to you but I dont want to and I dont have to...

It's up to you to have good memories here or not.

I could just pass by but I don't want other people who don't know "Korea" at all to have bad prejudice because of your comments...

Anyway , I don't know you but I hope you have great memories here in Korea.