10.06.2007

Screaming School Girls and Ladies of the Night - 'All in a day'

Busan, Busan, Busan. Where do I start?

The only words I can think of to describe our day in the coastal city are high octane. We went to Gukje Market, the main shopping district of Busan, straight from Busan Station, and realized when we got there that we were in the middle of the Busan International Film Festival (contrary to what the website says, in English it's Busan). In case you haven't heard of it, it's a pretty big deal, which means all the big Korean film stars were there. I don't know any of their names or what movies they're in, but they draw a big crowd. And I was in the middle of it. Thousands of screaming girls awaiting the arrival of one (apparently) sexy male movie star. Who was he? I don't know. But he was nearly the cause of my death. I captured the whole experience on video which will be posted to this very blog shortly, along with more details.

We went from downtown to Taejongdae, an area along the coast consisting of islands and some monuments. We spent most of the time searching for a beach, only to find a dumpy little waterfront road behind some old shacks. An amusement park popped up out of nowhere and we ate some cold sweet potato fries. Not a bad afternoon.


We headed back to Busan Station where there was an annual Chinese Festival. While checking this out, we stumbled upon the Russian Red Light District of Busan. Did you follow all that? Let me sum it up: A Chinese festival in Busan which is home to Russian prostitutes. There was enough culture to last a lifetime.

After a long, high octane day, we headed back to Daegu in the comfort of a bullet train.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I've only read a couple of your posts so far, but I really love your photos so far. I've been living here in Mokpo for a couple months now; and only now am I finally settled enough to get resltess enough to seek adventures. And what better inspiration than other people's blogs and exploits. Good stuff-