10.29.2007

Fall back

We still live in Korea. I have pictures to prove it. Really.

We're sort of on the other side of the mountain now. Not an actual mountain. A figurative one. We've been here for eight months and almost three seasons, and now it's like a countdown. We're coming down the mountain. Not that it's been some sort of mountainous obstacle - quite the opposite. And there's no threat of Grizzly Bears. But I'm guessing when you climb a mountain there are easy parts and hard parts, but once you start your descent things seem less challenging. That's how we feel now. All the challenges we've faced being in a foreign country seemed exacerbated by the idea that we'll be here - away from family and friends, and people who speak English - for a long time. But time flies, man.

October has been a good month. One of the things I miss most is Fall in Lethbridge. But the weather has been beautiful here in Daegu and the colors have lasted all month. Nothing beats a brisk walk through a concrete jungle.

I bought a membership to a gym. For the last eight months I've been relying on the exercise equipment in local parks and schoolyards, but as fun as endless pull-ups and chin-ups on cold metal bars sounds, it's not very motivating. So I decided to take my game indoors. I found a nice fitness centre in Seongseo and I'm trying it out for a month. But the experience has been a bit different from the YMCA at home. At my first visit, I bought my membership and the friendly assistant behind the desk showed me around. She brought me to a table outside the men's changeroom and gave me a towel, as well as a shirt and shorts. I looked at the tiny outfit and said, "Oh, you want me to wear this?" She nodded. I looked around and noticed everyone was wearing the same thing - and everyone was three to ten inches shorter than me. I convinced her it wouldn't work and she said it'd be fine if I wore my own clothes. So I did. I put on my iPod and stepped on a treadmill. JT was pumpin' and I was pumped. Ready to run. Just as I took my first step, a guy taps me on the back and says, "Come this way." I followed over him to the front desk. He pointed at the scale, which looked like it was made in 2050, and told me to get on. There were two handles on the front and he told me to squeeze. The little computer did some computing and then printed off a couple sheets of paper. So we headed over to a table to discuss my fitness level and the state of my life in general. With what little English he knew and what little Korean I know, we talked about what this computer said about me. Not only did this scale measure my weight, it measured my strength, my body mass index, my body fat percentage and, apparently, it knew where most of the fat on my body is and what I should do about it. Huh? Well that was fun. But I just wanted a treadmill, really.

Other than all that, it's business as usual in the Guenther home. I've stopped updating my Flickr account because I've reached my limit on uploads, so now if I want to add more, my earlier photos won't be displayed. Of course I can get a larger account for $20 or something like that. But come on, this is the internet. Do people actually pay to display their photogs? So you can expect to see more here, along with more frequent posts. Seriously.

4 comments:

Jude Law or (Justin Friesen) said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jude Law or (Justin Friesen) said...

hey, nice bikes, which one is yours, i'd go for the pink one. That scale you were talking about would be insane. You should bring it back to Canada and America so the western world can take a few pounds off. what an experience you guys are having out there. Sounds awesome. well i just wanted to say hi. This is Justin, cousin Justin, Johnny Pohnny, (carmen will understand) keep posting stuff. Hope you have a great day david. Good luck with the working out things. Keep pumpin' the JT, nothing motivates like JT!!!! Toodles

Jude Law or (Justin Friesen) said...

David I understand that it is you birthday soon or maybe today is or tomorrow or friday was. either way I hope you had an fantabulously wonderful day with your family. How old are you turning, like 25 or something, no more then that, i actually have no Idea. I'm pretty sure you are like 26 or something. anyway I just wanted to say Happy Birthday. I hope it was an unforgetable day, and I wish you acre's of luck and goodtimes in the nexy year of your life. Tata for now, BUbye!!

Melissa said...

Stoopid Flickr! They chewed on my last nerve a few months ago, so I feel your pain. Photobucket does all the same stuff - plus more - and there's no limit to uploads.

And I don't work for them or anything!

Best from Daejeon ...