7.31.2007

Yongsan Hospitality

Tonight we had our first experience in a Korean home. Our neighbors upstairs, Sang-Bum and Ji-Sook, invited us for dinner. It was a pleasant experience and one we hope to do again sometime soon. If I didn't fully understand it before, I think I do now - Koreans are the most honest and sincere people I've come across.

The layout of their villa is the same as ours, so I was curious to see how they used the (lack of) space, considering they have two young girls. The first thing I noticed was that the first bedroom, which we use as Cate's room, was set up as an office. The second thing I noticed was actually the third as well. The table we would sit at for dinner (on the floor) was in the second bedroom - and there was no bed. When we asked about the sleeping arrangements, Ji-Sook explained they all sleep in the same room on the floor. I slept on the floor for one night while Carmen's parents were visiting and whined the entire time. They do it every night. By choice.

I realized that we were about to eat dinner on their bed. Imagine inviting people you barely know to your house and serving them dinner in your bedroom.

The reason I mentioned honesty in describing this encounter is because of the way Ji-Sook introduced her daughters. After telling us their names, Da-Ei and Da-Eun, which in English mean 'Full of Grace' and 'Full of Love', she said she is a Christian and tried to explain in English what the names mean to her and her husband. I told her we understand and that she didn't need to explain, but I found it admirable that she'd attempt to share such a personal thing to two strangers in a language she barely speaks.

This seems to be a characteristic Koreans share. There's no small talk in the Korean language. If you speak to somebody it's for a reason. It's honest and sincere, whether it's good or bad, offensive or flattering.

The meal was fantastic. Mountains of bulgogi, gimbap, kimchi and . . . spaghetti. Just in case I suppose. They sent us home with a few plates full of leftovers and half a watermelon "for breakfast". It's more like a week of lunch and dinner. With enough to feed the neighborhood cats. If you're wondering how we communicated so well with them, Sang-Bum runs an English academy, meaning he and Ji-Sook speak fairly decent English.

In other news, I watched Transformers again last night. In a taxi on the way home from Seongseo. That's right, it's still in theatres but Daegu cab drivers are currently showing it on their eight inch flat-screens.

And a special note to my mother who today, after 26 years, is finally shutting down the most reputable, loving daycare centre in Canada. Good on ya Chris.

1 comment:

lisa said...

sounds like you had a wonderful time.
i'm very much enjoying your writing.
mom's done at the daycare!!
i took Graydon to Transformers...he especially liked the "we can call it your special alone time" scene.