7.19.2007

Call Child Protective Services!


Yes, that's me with Cate on my lap in a moving vehicle. Are we terrible parents? I hope not. We're just trying to fit in. This is the norm here in Korea. Taxis are a cheap and very popular way to get around for everyone, especially moms with two or three (or four) kids. So what can you do? I'd like to see someone explain a carseat to a taxi driver.

Concerned parent: "Oh, just hold on. I've just got to install this safety chair into your backseat. It'll just be about five minutes."
Driver: "Vrooom."

It's not just with cabs mind you. It's normal to see parents driving with their two or three year old standing between the two front seats. Apparently there's no law against it. Well, there might be, but traffic laws aren't enforced generally. And drivers know to be extra careful when there's a baby in the car.

It took us a while to get used to the idea and we tried to do it as little as possible at first, but that's just the way it's done. It's no different from North America twenty years ago. I used to sit on my mom's lap all the way to Fairmont Hot Springs from Lethbridge. Then I turned 16 (okay, that part isn't normal, but the no seatbelt thing was, and that's my point).

3 comments:

momj said...

I know it seems really odd that there no provisions for car seats in a taxi but then again, I don't think it's any different in Canada. We just don't take a taxi if there is a small child involved or should I say we never take a taxi? Nice photo of our cute little Cate! (you don't look so bad either David)

Love,

Papa G (Ginther that is)

john g said...

Cate sure does love the camera!

Unknown said...

David, very nice blog you have. I'm a Brazilian, also living in Korea (for 15mths now). If you wanna check some pictures, my blog is www.nosnacoreia.zip.net (unfortunately, in Portuguese).
Renato