5.13.2007

Pass the mic

This weekend I had the opportunity to experience the local nightlife with a few friends. This has been a difficult thing for Carmen and me because babysitting is not an option, which limits our chances to get out after dark. But on Saturday I was finally able to experience Daegu after hours (sans Carmen, unfortunately).

First stop was a wine bar called The Forest. It was a relaxing escape from the noise and chaos that exists everywhere else here. Our friends, Emma and Taransay, are friends with the owner of the establishment which meant excellent service and a bit of complimentary wine and cheese. Then it was on to a nearby soju bar. If you don't know what soju is, I'll describe it this way: I'd rather drink a glass of Buckley's and then brush my teeth with Pinesol. . . but it's cheap, so it's often the drink of choice for Korean men, especially with Galbi. I bought a bottle when on our first grocery trip (for a dollar) and have done nothing more than sniff the cap, which nearly resulted in a seizure. Fortunately for me, a soju bar serves this poison mixed with mango, kiwi or lemon, meaning it actually became quite tasty. This probably explains why I approved of our next stop: the Noraebang - Korean karaoke. I don't possess the quality of a Timberlake or a Groban, but what I lack in ability, I make up for in showmanship. To summarize, it was a grand ol' time.

On Sunday we found a new little restaurant very near to our place called Sinnduk, and they have the best kimbap I've ever had. It's also the cheapest. I'm sold.

No comments: