3.24.2007

Saturday

Today we made our long-awaited first family trip to downtown Daegu. It was, in a word, stimulating.

Transport was smooth. A three minute cab ride to Yongsan Station and a 20 minute ride on the subway, with one transfer, took us to Jungangno Station and the heart of downtown.

We first hit up Kyobo Books and bought some reading material (at a fairly decent price considering English books are all imported) and then made our way to the main shopping district. There were probably 10 million people shopping in a six block radius. At least. Maybe more.

Carmen had a successful afternoon. She has the prototypical Asian figure, and every piece of clothing in any store we visited fit her perfectly. I, on the other hand, had a more difficult go of things. I found several shops I liked, but the t-shirts fit like some kind of leotard, and I basically looked like Renton from Trainspotting. We found that in the private, specialty shops there's only one size of every piece of clothing, so if it doesn't fit you're out of luck. But I still got a Mitch Albom book and Keith Richards scarf.

Visually, downtown was everything we'd pictured of an Asian metropolis. Bright lights, huge signs, endless crowds and raw meat. Add deafening hip-hop beats coming from every store and you've got six hours of culture that will last a lifetime. Too much culture at one time can be overwhelming though, so we played it safe and had burgers for lunch.

I sort of wish I was shopping today with Brad Pitt, because he would have garnered less attention than Cate. If we stopped for three seconds, hoards of people would crowd around and gawk, point, touch and take photos. Not an exaggeration. Really. It's hard enough steering a stroller through a tiny clothing store, but when everyone in the store stands in your way taking pictures and trying to hold your baby, it's basically impossible. No-one shops when we enter a shop, they just swarm around our oblivious one year-old daughter. She is a phenomenon. Example: "May I take a picture of your baby. She is just so beautiful, I just can't resist it."

Don't believe me? Here's just a few of her fans:


The pinnacle of my day, a visit to the Adidas Concept Store, was spoiled by Cate stealing all the attention . . . and service of the employees:

7 comments:

Unknown said...

I was going to ask you to get me a shirt but i guess thats out of the question. I really enjoy your blogs, and i actually want to visit Korea. Isn't that neat. Take care guys, Happy birthday Cate.(could one of you read that to her? thanks)bye.
Davek

Ryan Enns said...

Dave, Tell Carmen and Cate I miss them. But I love YOU. I hope all is well. It sounds as though you guys are starting to enjoy Africa. I wish I could go to Africa and see the Kangaroos. Okay, I acctually have a serious question, let's say someone wanted to send you a letter, or a package or something of that nature. How would someone go about putting your address on the package or letter? If it's all in Vietnamese characters you might have to take a picture of the address and email it to me. Oh, and if you see any panda bears, or the Great Wall, take a picture of them for me too. How close do you live to the Great wall? So if you could send that address to me at, rnaenns@shaw.ca that would be wicked, then I can give it to that "someone" so "they" can send you that "letter" or "package". One more thing, be careful what you agree to up there, you don't want to accidentally adopt a little Mongolian baby. Love you guys
Ryan and Audra ( Audra doesn't know I sent this, and she probibly doesn't agree with half the things I wrote, but I know she does send her greatings and best wishes)

The Beer's said...

At least it looks like Cate enjoys all the celebrity attention that those Koreans are giving her... she won't want to come back to canada!

A Grandparents Life! said...

Hi Carmen, and David. Just wanted to drop you a note saying we are enjoying your blog, and getting all the updates from your Mom and Dad Carmen. I'm glad that things are going so well now knowing of the rocky start you get off to. The 3 of you are real troupers!!!! Keep up the great blogging, and enjoy celebrity status while it last because when you come back you will just have to do with plain old lovable David, Carmen, and Cate!!!! (No, that isn't true we will all be excited to see you again!)
Debbie and Brian

kristin janzen said...

cate looks so sweet in every picture! i love this blog, i'm so happy you keep it updated with pictures and everything. but i think i may have mentioned all that :)

have a great week guys!

Juanita said...

Sounds like you three are local celebrities! You should start charging for pictures of Cate, you might not have to work any more.
We're so glad to read (and hear from your dad, Carmen) that you are doing well and adjusting to life on the other side of the world! Take care.

Stuart said...

dave, can I have a picture with your baby?