3.21.2007

Wednesday

I wrote earlier about how nice people are in Daegu. Here's another example.

Last night I walked over to Pizza Etang to buy us dinner. The guy who served us last time was there again, and he gave me a menu and I ordered the same thing as before. This time, it was 1,500 won (about $1.50) cheaper than last time, but I didn't think much of it.

As I was waiting he came over to me and said, "Two weeks ago, you came with wife?."
Me: "Yeah, I came with my wife and our baby."
Him: "I made mistake. I charge you too much last time."
Me: "Oh, well that's okay. Not a big deal."

He picked up the menu and pointed at what he charged me last time. "No, my mistake. I'm very sorry. I pay you."
Me: "No, I understand what you're saying. You don't have to pay me. It's just a little bit."
I appreciated his honesty about having made a mistake and really wanted him to know that I wasn't bothered by it. This awkward exchange went on for a couple of minutes until he realized I wasn't going to take the 1,500 won from his pocket.

Him: "Your wife - gorgeous."
Me: "Oh wow. Thanks. Yes she is."
Him: "And your baby. Beautiful."
Me: "Yeah, Koreans like her blue eyes."
Him: "Oh yes, blue eyes. Gorgeous. And you too."
Me: "Whoa. Okay. Thank you." His honesty came into question at this point.

I also went downtown last night for the first time. I needed to make a trial run so that when we take Cate on the weekend, we don't get lost. It was the best time I've had since we've been here, even though I didn't actually do anything. On a Wednesday night the streets were packed and every store was open, with music pumping. I wish I had pictures to show what I'm describing but my camera died as soon as I got to the subway.

No comments: